Picture of the Month
14/09/11 23:09 Filed inPic of the month
St Andrew’s Hospital, Devons Road, Bromley-by-Bow, c1934
Originally known as the Poplar and Stepney Sick Asylum, this building was opened in 1871 and served the districts of Poplar, Bromley, Bow, Limehouse, Wapping, Shadwell and Ratcliff.
It was one of the first and largest workhouse infirmaries built under the Metropolitan Poor Act of 1867. It was renamed St Andrew’s Hospital in 1925.
The hospital has now been demolished and is being replaced by a large housing scheme called St Andrews.
Image courtesy of Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives