Picture of the Month


Image courtesy of Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives.

This month’s picture shows the bombed-out shell of Christ Church Watney Street in 1943.

Built to serve the rapidly expanding population of the district, the foundation stone was laid on March 11th 1840 and the church was consecrated just over a year later. The first vicar was William Quekett who had been a curate at the nearby church of St George in the East since 1829.

The building of grey bricks with stone dressings was in the Romanesque style with two towers with slated pyramidal spires which can be clearly seen.

The church was wrecked by a landmine in April 1941 but the ruins survived for around a further ten years before being cleared.

Image courtesy of Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives