Picture of the month
23/07/10 08:00 Filed inPic of the month
East India Dock Road 1904 courtesy of Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives
East India Dock Road was laid out in 1806-1812 as a “branch” of the Commercial Road (made between 1802 and 1804) to give traffic from the newly completed East India Docks a straight run to London, bypassing Poplar High Street. A forest of masts in the docks can be seen in the distance.
The picture is dominated by the United Methodist Free Church, built 1866-8 in a “modern Italian” style to accommodate 1,500 people. In 1919 it was taken over by the nearby Poplar Methodist Mission and renamed King George’s Hall and was used as a men’s club, Sunday school and concert hall. It was badly damaged in the Second World War.
In the distance can be seen Poplar Railway station (the site of the present All Saints DLR station). This was built for the North London Railway in 1865-6 to replace the former station in Poplar High Street.
Image courtesy of Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives.
Image courtesy of Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives