Picture of the month
04/05/10 17:20 Filed inPic of the month
This photograph of what is now known simply as Alie Street was taken by Poplar photographer William Whiffin (1878-1957).
It shows an intriguing mix of motorised and horse-drawn traffic.
The left half of the picture is dominated by eighteenth- century buildings with shop fronts, destroyed by enemy action in the Second World War.
Behind the lorry laden with timber, at the corner of Leman Street is the Eastern Dispensary built in 1858, now a public house.
The Dispensary had been founded in 1782 to provide free medical and surgical relief to the poor.
Beyond this building are silhouetted the chimneys of the former St George’s German Lutheran School.
Image courtesy of Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives