Picture of the month
15/02/13 18:00 Filed inPic of the month
The 'Millwall and The Island' Horse Omnibus outside West India Dock Station c.1910.
During the 1850s, the first one-horse omnibus began to operate between the Greenwich Ferry and Limehouse, helping to ease heavy traffic congestion on the Isle of Dogs, primarily caused by frequent queues at the Dock bridges. By the 1870s, a number of private horse omnibuses were in operation throughout the island. The bus driver would collect fares through a hatch in the roof of the vehicle. The 'Millwall and The Island' horse omnibus, pictured, served West Ferry Road and Millwall Docks and operated until 16th October 1913, the year during which the London General Omnibus Company introduced motor-bus services.
Image courtesy of Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives